Many DUI Wins!!
Many Reckless Driving Wins!!
Driving On A Suspended License Lawyer
Driving on a Suspended Licence Lawyer with over 20 years of experience.
Serving Manassas, Woodbridge, Leesburg, Fairfax, Centreville, Gainesville, Warrenton,
Dale City, Dumfries, Haymarket, Herndon, Reston,Alexandria and all locations in Prince William County, Fairfax County, Fauquier County, Stafford County, Loudoun County, Culpepper County, and Spotsylvania County.
Conviction of Driving on a Suspended License is a Class 1 Misdemeanor Criminal charge.
Virginia Code Section §46.2-301 is a Driving on Suspended License Statute and it applies to a person who lost his privilege to drive. A person may have had his license suspended because of a court order, prior conviction of another offense, or by order of the Commissioner of the Division of Motor Vehicles.
Prosecution must prove the accused knew of the license suspension.
Prosecutors will attempt to show you had proper notice of the license suspension. Such proof of suspension can be shown by:
- Proof that proper service of the suspension was made in accordance with Virginia Code Section §46.2-416, or
- Proof that the accused had actual notice of the suspension.
Driver’s license will be suspended again for a conviction of Driving on Suspended License.
If a person is convicted of Driving on a Suspended License, his or her driver’s license will be suspended further for either:
- The same period of time for which it was previously suspended, or
- For a period of up to 90 days, if the prior suspension was not for a definite period of time.
Defending the Driving on Suspended charge
The best defenses to a Driving on Suspension charge are:
- Proving to the court that you did not know of the license suspension, or
- Obtaining your valid driver’s license before your court date.
For over 20 years James J. McCoart, III, has represented clients in their Driving on Suspended or Revoked License charges. If you are interested in discussing your suspended or revoked license matter with an experienced attorney, then contact The Law Office of James J. McCoart, III, by telephone (703) 369-2734, or by email.